Sunday, March 16, 2008

Tiger Woods Birdies the 72nd Hole to Win Palmer Invitational - Game, Set, Match.

Tiger Woods jarred a 24 ft. downhill, sliding putt on the 18th hole of The Arnold Palmer Invitational to edge Bart Bryant by a stroke. It was the only putt over 20 ft. he made all week, but truly the one that counted. Bryant was the guy from the five-way tie at the start of the day that hung with Woods. He posted -9 in the clubhouse and this thing appeared headed for a playoff. In true Woods fashion though it wasn't to be. His victory tied Woods with Ben Hogan at 64 career victories apiece. Woods also extended his PGA Tour winning streak to five and he's perfect for 2008. Up next week is The WGC-CA Championship held at Doral Golf Resort. The defending champion is Guess Who?

I know Johnny Miller won't read this, but I'm growing weary of his frequent swing analysis. He had an outdated "legsy" swing that wouldn't hold up under today's requirements. When he was on he was on, but reliability in a swing with all that movement just wasn't in the cards. Case in point, his incredible runs and streaks, but no mentions of him in the same breath as the all time best. Don't get me wrong, I love his knowledge of the game and his preparation for events is legendary. His voice is pleasing enough. I think he's one of the best there is. It's his incessant swing analysis from a booth that irks me. Also irking me is the speed of Sean O'Hair. He's a great young player and seems to be a wonderful young man. Today was the first time I had the luxury of watching him. He's annoyingly slow. Not just putts, but even from the tee box. I gotta figure this doesn't help him. Too much time to think.

I handicapped Woods yesterday to win this thing. Tough call, huh? Hard not to bet on Secretariat.

Til' next,

No comments:

Post a Comment