Sunday, September 14, 2008

Transitions® Lenses - Average Golfer Product Review



I wear sunglasses all the time. I don't wear sunglasses on the golf course. I know I need the protection, but I find it distracting to have something hanging on my face while playing. So, my expectations were rather low when a pair of Transitions lenses arrived at my door. I opened the box to find the recommended lenses affixed to an Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ frame. Damn stylish. So stylish that when we hit the golf course my 28 year old son was praying I wouldn't like them and they'd be an early inheritance for him.

Transitions says their lenses automatically adjust to changing light conditions, graduating from full blown sunglasses in sunlight to clear indoors. They also block 100% of the sun's harmful UVA and UVB rays, which is the best reason to wear them. They're available in just about any frame you can imagine. Mine were non-prescription, but your prescription and bi-focals are available. So, you want them, they'll build them. They're the official eye wear of the PGA Tour, so, if they're good enough for the pros, I'll give them a shot.

We teed off at 9:00 AM in hazy sort of fog. I promised myself I'd wear the Transitions all day regardless of my initial impressions. In the beginning I kept flipping them up to see how much of a difference they made. In the fog there wasn't much. I stopped the flipping when I realized it was pointless. On or off everything looked the same in the overcast conditions. Within an hour the sun burned off the foggy layer and we spent the next four hours in bright sunshine with intermittent high clouds. That's when I remembered why I wear sunglasses to begin with. Having previously hated them on the course, I literally forgot the Transitions were there. They were so light and effective I finally was able to wear glasses on the golf course without being annoyed and distracted by them. The landscape was clear and reading greens was no different than without them. Undulations on the greens were discernible and any putts I missed, and there were some, had nothing to do with the shades. Being we were playing in a tournament, I walked into the clubhouse after the round for the obligatory buffet. Halfway through the feast my son reminded me I was still wearing the glasses. That was the clincher for me. For me sunglasses are like good umpires in baseball. If they're doing their job well, you don't know they're there. I typically have some eye strain from all the squinting after a round. I've kind of gotten used to it and consider it part of golf. No squinting this day after four sunny hours. My eyes were fresh and ready to read small print.

I highly recommend Transitions lenses. If you're like me, they may be the first pair you can live with in all conditions. Sorry son, you'll have to get your own.


No comments:

Post a Comment