Saturday, September 13, 2008

Average Golfer at Craig Wood Country Club, Lake Placid, NY.


I typically don't write about my personal rounds of golf because I've found that usually no one cares. Did you ever run into a golf buddy that insists on replaying his last round for you shot by shot? I don't want to be that guy. Regardless, today I enjoyed an unusual outing in Lake Placid, NY, about 40 miles from my home. The occasion was the Lake Placid Pub & Brewery annual tournament at Craig Wood Golf & Country Club, and my birthday, in that order of importance.

I'm fortunate that my oldest son Bryan has for a good friend a member of the family that owns Lake Placid Pub & Brewery, a small, but highly acclaimed boutique brewery located in it's namesake village. My favorite is their UBU ale, but it's high alcohol content makes my golf scores soar, so today I chose a lighter offering, the Moose Island Ale. Think of it more as swing oil. If you're ever in the northeast and like beer, I insist you ask around for any Lake Placid Pub & Brewery offering, or better yet, make the trip to Lake Placid and sample it there, as fresh as it can be. Lake Placid was the site of the 1932 and 1980 Winter Olympic games and is a quaint little village with much to offer year round. It's tough to describe it, but I promise it will leave a unique impression. As one example, try visiting the arena where the "Miracle on Ice" took place without getting a tingle. Tons of history. A tiny little town nestled in the ancient Adirondack mountains, but with international panache and bragging rights.

Today we played a two man scramble and I thought our 71 was a decent score. That was until the 62s and 63s started popping up on the scoreboard. I settled for a T-shirt won in the obligatory raffle. We had the pleasure though of using our 71 whacks at the venerable Craig Wood Golf & Country Club. It was officially named after it's native son in 1954. Craig Wood is infamously noted as the victim of Gene Sarazen's famous double eagle in the 1935 Augusta National Invitational, (later renamed the Masters). That left the players tied at the end of regulation and Sarazen captured the title the next day in a 36 hole playoff. Wood had a notorious string of 2nd place finishes in majors until winning the 1941 Masters and then validated it by winning the 45th US Open at Colonial. He was inducted to the World Golf Hall of Fame in 2008. Strolling through the clubhouse it's obvious that Lake Placid is quite proud of Mr. Wood.

Living here I've probably been guilty of taking my surroundings for granted. Today I was blessed to have a birthday celebrated with world class beer, in a world class village, with my world class son. Tell me how that could be better. It can't!

*If you look closely in the middle of the bottom photo you can spot the Olympic ski jump towers from the 1980 Olympic Games.

Til' next,

2 comments:

  1. Wow,

    I can tell you, after playing golf with my father at many different and fantastic venues, these are the days that we live for. That scenery is superb, great story from one golf moment lover to another!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for the kind words. It was a special and memorable day.

    ReplyDelete