Tuesday, January 15, 2008

IT'S THE SWING STUPID !!!

The 2008 PGA Merchandise Show is upon us. Jan. 17-19. All the latest and greatest weapons to aid the average golfer in attaining this year's goals will be on display. Then the ensuing ad blitzes will thrill our senses with tales of longer, straighter drives, more greens in regulation, radar putts, and more spin than a White House press release. Plus, how to look like Camilo Villegas despite a 42" waist and an Avodart script. Money fuels the fire and golfers are a great demographic. We'll belly up to the register more than most with a promise of shaving strokes or finally cracking the top 3 in the R flight of the club championship. Being an average golfer, who couldn't handle an extra 20 yards off the tee or second shots from the fairway? Polish the Mastercard. Taylor Made r7 SuperQuad, $399.00, Callaway Men's FT5, $429.00, (TGW). Farther and straighter and that's all it costs? While were at it, maybe some new irons, or at least a putter. They say most of my strokes are with the putter. Sounds plausible. ("Putting's not golf.", -Ben Hogan).

We've all made the plunge. I've had five drivers in five years. (Two of them I whittled myself.) It is true that a larger head, larger sweet spot, and proper launch conditions will show better results. Today's clubs, especially drivers, make the game noticeably easier, incrementally. Still, you with your clubs, Tiger with hickory shafts and balatas, for your house? You on? I would submit to you that the better bet is in another area.

The average golfer would see faster improvement with a little swing repair. How about some posture and ball position? Throw in a decent takeaway, some balance, weight transfer, and golly gee whiz, I just found out what a sweet spot does! Now that I found that infamous slot, stopped coming from so far outside I had to clear customs, I can take my chiropractor off the 5 spot on my cell phone. I can hit good shots consecutively, have my 2nd putt shorter than my first, and hold my own in the Sunday morning brag fest. All this with my old clubs. The clubs I was going retire to the garden to start tomatoes. I'm not advocating a ban on the sale of new gear. I'm merely suggesting that for the average golfer substantial, noticeable improvement can be made much faster and last much longer with lessons from a qualified PGA instructor. It's not the "quick fix" promise of new sticks, but sticks are a fleeting lover. Just ask my new favorite driver. Psst.... if you think this is all baloney, buy the driver, but wait.....a year, Taylor Made Men's r7 460, Orig. $399.99, Now $199.99.

Til' next

2 comments:

  1. Could not agree more, solid fundamentals, a little practice with the short irons, and flat stick. Sign up for a series of lessons with a good instructor, and remember it’s a game, enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, but it's the quick fix mentality that makes a lot of people figure that switching clubs is a better answer.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete