Let me preface by saying I'm an advocate of the Children's Miracle Network. Kind of hard not to be, but my interests are parochial. My brother is a pediatric trauma physician in Hartford, CT. His immense concern and actions have made me aware of all sorts of children's health issues. Thank you John.
Back to the action. the Children's Miracle Network Classic at Walt Disney World Resort this week is the penultimate in pressure cookers for pros on the bubble. Stephen Hawing might struggle to explain all the mathematical possibilities and permutations, so I won't even attempt. We'll clue you in on numbers 120-130, the players with the immediate needs. Here we go.....
- 120 - Brad Adamonis - Has had a nice year. Needs a decent finish to stay in top 125.
- 121 - Tim Petrovic - 39th in birdies. At a birdie fest course.
- 122 - Nick Watney - Best finishes were early in year. Better regroup.
- 123 - Michael Allen - T3 at Timberlake. Needs that magic at Magic Kingdom.
- 124 - Shane Bertsch - 20 of 28 cuts. Just one top ten.
- 125 - Jeff Overton - Bubble Boy himself. Appendectomy recently. Waiting for medication approval from last week by PGA.
- 126 - Martin Laird - Scotsman shouldn't be in this position. 3 top tens in '08.
- 127 - Charles Warren - The other Charles. 3rd in FBR, T10 at Turning Stone.
- 128 - David Toms - Has career exemptions to fall back on. Don't worry, you'll see him in '09.
- 129 - Patrick Sheehan - Never won. Can make birdies in bunches.
- 130 - Mark Calcavecchia - Didn't expect him here. Lots of nagging injuries.
Notables with a chance.....
136, Jason Gore, Needs to be the Gore of old.
138, Jason Day, Remember, he's 19 years old!
139, Rich Beem, Hard to picture tour without him. Larger than life.
142, Jesper Parnevik, See Beem.
144, Chris DiMarco, Injury train. Pulling for him.
148, Todd Hamilton, Open Championship seems eons ago.
149, John Huston, Perhaps can ride last week's momentum.
157, Aaron Olberholser, Another injury plagued year.
163, Chris Riley, '06 Ryder Cupper. Taken big fall.
168, Carlos Franco, White hot for a while. Love to watch his game.
217, David Duval, Win might not even get him in.
Plenty of drama on a birdie laden golf course. Should be a great way to see the PGA Tour for the last time in 2008. So, unless the Silly Season is your bag, tune in for this one.
*Average Golfer tidbit......The Children's Miracle Network was founded in 1983 by the Osmond family and John Schneider.