Thursday, November 18, 2010

Tiger Woods is Irrelevant

NORTON, MA - SEPTEMBER 06: A spectator dresses in a tiger costume to watch Tiger Woods during the final round of the Deutsche Bank Championship at TPC Boston on September 6, 2010 in Norton, Massachusetts. (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)
Tiger Woods' PR machine is coming at us with both barrels. One week shy of the anniversary of his "incident" Woods has surfaced, written and spoken, neither of which he's been all that willing to do, period, ever. A monologue in Newsweek, a phone interview on ESPN's Mike & Mike in the Morning, and perhaps a few other contrived statements are in the works, ghost written by IMG. He's realized his errors, yawn, discovered the joys of fatherhood, like 100 million of us, and is trying to resculpt what was at one time the most valuable image in the world. Better than the Pope's, Ali-esque.

The difficulty in selling all this to us lemmings is that what he got nailed for was beyond regular folk's comprehension. Even my most self-centered, hound-doggish male acquaintances, upon hearing of Woods' transgressions, collectively said "WTF, OMG!" Steroids may have met with more acceptance. It's tough to rally your image from an affair. It's even more tough if it's an All-Universe one. People have standards and morals that certainly vary by the individual, but all have a limit, I hope.

I've never been accused of being a Tiger Woods fan, but I haven't been a basher either. I definitely appreciated his talent on the golf course and enjoyed many hours watching him perform on a level I'd never believed possible. I'd have bet the house he'd break Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 majors and would have been happy to witness the history. Now I don't really give two *#its if he does or doesn't. I'm glad, on a purely human level, that he's claimed to have found the error of his ways. I'm glad he's reconnecting with his children. I truly hope his kids end up as healthy, well adjusted adults. I just don't want to hear about it. Deal with that stuff on your own time like the rest of us do. Don't invade my air and print space with feats that all the rest of us pull off each and every day without fanfare.

Play golf Tiger, or don't play. Now it doesn't matter to me either way.






Til' next,

3 comments:

  1. Regardless of his current status as a golfer, the Tiger has immense pulling power

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's declining. His only selling point now is to win golf tournaments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great review, keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete